Saturday, November 6, 2010

My (not-so-secret) love :)

I'm sure this comes as a suprise to most of you, but i love books! It's not just the stories i love, but the physical books. I do not care one bit for Nooks or any other hand held readers; before we know it, books will be a thing of the past and everything will be electronic, i suppose it is a form of nostalgia. Oh well, that's one of my many opinions on the subject.

I have to admit, my favorite author is Nicholas Sparks. We have a love-hate relationship. I love him for being a fantastic and romantic writer, BUT I HATE HIM for killing at least one person in every book *sigh* I mean, I get the face that that a "good" book has love and loss in it, but seriously...I can predict who, when and why a character will die before I even read the book.  Yet, I continue to go back time and time again to buy his latest book...explain that one to me haha.

A never-ending question that will always plauge me is this, "Why do people like to make fun of people who read?" And, yes, I am asking this for personal reasons. I get made fun of, but I'm not bitter about it, I'm just curious as to why. Readers are usually quiet and don't bother other people. What reason is there? Oh, wait, "Leaders are Readers" or "Readers are Leaders" ( however that saying goes) could that be one of the reasons that upset people? Or maybe it's the fact that readers have a much larger vocabulary and tend to be a tad bit brighter thatn the average person. Therein may lie the problem....Should that be the case? I hope not...it's lame.

If you are reading this...do you like to read? If so, what is your favorite book? Or author?

Later Loves <3

4 comments:

  1. I also love books, and will re-read books that I like several times over. I'll list several books (some are series of books) and tell you that I've read each of these books several times and will probably re-read them all again at some point in the future. This is not in any particular order, btw.

    1) The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings (I've probably read these 10 times or more).
    2) The Belgariad by David Eddings (this is a series of 15 books. I've probably read this more than a dozen times).
    3) The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay - this is an incredible book, probably my all time favorite single book - although I just found out about a week ago that he finally wrote a follow-up book to this one. I've read and re-read this book so much that I need to buy another copy - my copy is destroyed. (Same thing with the Belgariad too!)
    4) Red Sky at Morning - don't remember who wrote this book but it's a very good book. I've probably read this book 6 or so times.
    5) The Complete Sherlock Holmes - love these stories, probably read these two books 8 or more times.
    6) There is a series of books (18 of them or even more) by R.A. Salvatore about a character named Drizzt that are pretty good. Some of them I've read more than once.

    I like to read biographies, science fiction, fantasy (LoTR type stuff, not sex stuff), historical books (like about WW2 or the Civil War, that sort of stuff) and historical fiction (books about fake people during real historical events, like Whirlwind by James Clavell, which takes place during the Iranian revolution of 1979).

    My favorite author? I don't know, by sheer volume maybe R.A. Salvatore but his stuff isn't my favorite stuff. David Eddings would get a vote and so would J.R.R. Tolkien. Even though I've only read one thing by him I'd have to also give a vote to Bryce Courtenay.

    I'm going to bet that, like me, if you've read the book before you see the movie, then you feel like the movie cannot compare to the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love to read AND I love BOOKS!! I totally get what you mean by loving the book itself. The look, the feel...even the smell of the paper and ink. Google Bibliophile...you may find your pic! ;-) Lovin' your blog girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Glen, a fellow beliver!!! MOVIES NEVER LIVE UP TO THE BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Haha nice Bec. The smell of paper assaults the senses, and the sound of a new book when you crack the spine is music to my ears.

    ReplyDelete